Sunday, 13 April 2014

Propagating succulents and cacti

This is purely an experiment. I've never done this before, only seen it on blogs and Pinterest. Some of my plants were looking a bit 'leggy' where they'd been reaching for sunlight, so I took that as a sign to trim them back. This gave me the opportunity to try propagating some more little succulents from leaves taken from the trimmed plant...

Method:

1. If pruning a plant that's grown tall, cut the top flower/rosette just below leaving a bit of stem and set aside. Remove lower leaves making sure they come away from the stem intact [if you leave the base of the leaf attached it won't root - apparently!]. Leave the stem in the pot to continue growing.

2. Put the leaves and rosette to one side for a couple of days [or longer] until the ends have dried and calloused over.

3. Place the leaves on top of some fast draining cactus soil and put the stem of the rosette in the soil. I used a little bit of hormone rooting powder too just for luck, but I don't think it's essential.

I also experimented a bit with cacti and aloe plants. I have no idea if these will work...! For the cacti I cut a stem away from the bigger plant and let it callus, then planted it in the soil. For the aloe I wasn't sure of the best approach so I've cut a few leaves and lay a few on the soil and a couple standing upright. We'll have to see which are most successful...

I forgot to take some progress shots, so here's a few pics of what I have on the go at the moment:



As you can see, where I cut the cacti stem from is already growing little roots [it's only been 2 days!], so I'm hoping that the cut bit will grow some too! I'll be back with an update in a couple of weeks to see how things are progressing... Eeek!

No comments:

Post a Comment