Saturday, 29 March 2014

DIY Fruit [/cake] Stand

I've been meaning to get around to making this fruit stand for ages now... I hate our current fruit bowl and the boyfriend likes to keep all his fruits separate [apparently some fruits ripen other fruits when touching them] so most bowls don't do the job. This is where I thought a cake-stand could work well, with different fruits on each tier. I don't eat a lot of cake, but if I ever have a tea party I can use it for that too!


I bought 3 different sized plates from Ikea [black and white theme going on here], and I had previously bought the stand pieces from eBay for a few £s. The stand isn't the nicest I admit, so I will probably replace it at some point, but it will do for now...

I also had to invest in some special ceramic tile drill bits, which I think I bought from Amazon. They weren't expensive from what I remember, and now if I need to drill through more plates or tiles I'm sorted!
I stuck masking tape down where I was drilling for 3 reasons: it protects the surface and helps to avoid cracks whilst drilling, stops the drill slipping, and gives me a surface to mark the center point on. It's a good idea to do the drilling outside as drilling through the plates creates a lot of dust.




Once I'd drilled the holes [with a piece of spare wood placed behind to avoid drilling through my decking in the garden] I assembled the stand, which took no time at all! Voila, one fruit [/cake] stand... I can't believe I didn't break anything!!!

[before]
[after]


No comments:

Post a Comment